Friday, October 26, 2007

The Truth About Jobs and Internships

I suppose I should have known better that this session would be a panel discussion when I read there would be three speakers. Benjy Hamm from Landmark Communications (they own The Weather Channel), Adriana Brockman from Gannett Corp. (USA Today's owner), and Jody Beck from the Scripps Howard Foundation fielded questions from students on how to land an internship or job after college. While the session was informative, I left feeling more overwhelmed and discouraged than anything else.

One thing I took away from this session was a few main points potential employers look for such as experience, drive and passion, curiosity, work ethic and professionalism. In those areas I feel confident, however, many of the panel members said they would probably not hire someone who had only worked on student media. They said experience with a local media was a must. This concerned me because I have not worked outside of the NSU media, although, I feel like my experience with those media have been valuable. I suppose I will just have to edge out the competition with my winning personality.

-- Lauren Sciba

No comments: