Friday, October 26, 2007

Unity and You I and II

This was one of the most, or rather, two of the most interesting sessions I attended. The basis was a journalist group called UNITY. UNITY is composed of the various sects of diverse national associations of journalists, the association of black journalists, Asian journalists, Hispanic journalists, Native American journalists, and gay and lesbian journalists.

The first session was dedicated to these group members identifying themselves, describing what they do and why they do it, and mentioning future plans.

The second session was the break-out session. In this session we could confront each member individually and ask them questions. I did not get a chance to speak with all the representatives, but the few I got the chance to speak to were very enlightening.

Ivan Roman of the Association of Hispanic Journalists said something very profound. He was speaking on the immigration issue and said how a journalist will get the two extreme opinions and say that they have covered both sides, but they ignore all of the opinions of the moderate people in between extremes. I thought that it was very true (extremism makes better headlines) and very in need of being changed.

Suzan Harjo of the Native American Association of Journalists was also an interesting person to talk to. I first was interested in speaking to her, honestly, because she shared the last name of one of my favorite Native American poets, Joy Harjo. However, growing up in the West (and having a bit of native blood in me myself) I wanted to hear what she had to say.

Harjo explained that the problem was not that Native Americans were being mis-represented in the media, but they were not represented at all. Thinking back, I agree. I always see some kind of news, even if negative, on African-Americans, Hispanic people, and even the gay and lesbian groups. But never do I hear of the Native Americans. (Except on old Western movies, the last knowledge any of us seem to have on what the Native Americans do).

Harjo also made the comment that when and if the media represents Native Americans, it lumps them all together making no room for the many, vast cultural differences that are in place from tribe to tribe.

The last person I was able to speak to was Charles Robinson. He was the representative for the National Association of Black Journalists (who gave me LOTS of free stuff). He was an intelligent and admitted arrogant man. He had a great presence, booming voice, though he almost lost me at the beginning when he said he may be speaking on the Jena (he said Jenna) six in Mississippi. For sake of Louisiana, I suppose its better for us to have blame placed elsewhere. Poor Mississippi.

Charles Robinson said a great thing to everyone. He said "Working hard is not working fast, it's working smart."

--Andi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unity is comprised of four national associations: Asian American Journalists Association, National Association of Black Journalists, National Association of Hispanic Journalists, and the Native American Journalists Association.

The National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association is not a part of the organization, but members attend, participate and present panels, in addition to supporting the goals of Unity.