Friday, October 26, 2007

The world of covering the world

The second session I went to Thursday morning was probably my favorite. The speaker was Peter Baker, a White House correspondent for The Washington Post. He was a really great speaker and very interesting. He and his wife have both been foreign correspondents in Russia and Afghanistan.

This session sealed the deal for me. I've really considered the idea of becoming a foreign correspondent, but now it is definitely my goal. He talked about obstacles like the language barrier and the possible danger involved, but it's still what I want to do.

An interesting point Baker made was the problem of taking quotes in another language and writing an English story. You have to be careful to get the quote right and not change the meaning, but you also have to translate it to sound as intelligent as the person you quoted. Some very direct and literal translations end up sounding idiotic.

Leigh

No comments: