Sunday, October 28, 2007

Final thoughts on D.C.

While the rain precluded extensive tourist activities, I used my time wisely for the most part and tried to see as much as possible. Anytime I go to a new place, I'm always overwhelmed with the realization, perhaps a cognitive dissonance, that life has been going on there forever without me even knowing about it. I left with some interesting impressions, and frankly, surprised. When I thought of D.C. before this trip I thought of a boring, flat city with only a couple of gray monuments sticking out here and there. But I left having seen some really pretty sides of D.C., especially the neighborhood we were staying in.

When we were checking into the hotel on Wednesday evening, I took a seat next to a telephone and memo pad. I looked down and caught a glimpse of some writing on the pad and picked up the sheet for a more thorough examination. "The city of acronyms and obfuscation..." began the rather poetic scribbling. I thought that over for a while and wondered who might have written that. Taxation without representation.

Jim Mustian

No comments: