Friday, October 26, 2007

General Session.

I never tire of hearing a student reference something that they learned in my class. Words cannot describe my sense of pride, satisfaction and delight – okay, maybe those words can. Yesterday Jim, who is in the JOUR 3080 class I took over at midterm, mentioned that when writing his article for this week's edition of THE CURRENT SAUCE, he chose to use the word "refused" -- instead of "declined" -- to describe someone's reaction to a line of questioning. The captive audience that is JOUR 3080 had heard me wax on about the difference between "no" and "hell, no" on Tuesday, just hours before Jim filed his story. NICE.

Hearing students track bits of what I say in class is all well and good, but seeing students get excited by journalism is truly thrilling. There's that satisfaction of seeing your first by-line (or even your umpteenth) in print or first package on screen. Knowing that your work may have informed and/or impacted someone is the kind of accomplishment that makes you love what you study or do.

Everywhere I look at the CMA conference, I see journalists-in-training discovering fresh inspiration. Nowhere was this more evident than at the convention's general session on politics and the media on Friday. Keynote speaker Sam Feist, CNN's political director, spoke to hundreds of aspiring reporters and editors about the media coverage of the political arena in the United States. With just a year to go before the next presidential election, I think we were all particularly keen to hear what Feist had to say.

I expected that Feist would enthrall us with a discussion of Washington, the world, the way, etc. He absolutely did. I wanted to wave a flag, march to the capitol, belt out the national anthem and update my voter registration card.

What I underestimated was Feist's ability to enrapture a ballroom full of young media-makers with his passion for his job. He spoke with such conviction, hope and sincerity about working in journalism that I felt palpable electrification surge through the crowd. When Feist opened the floor for questions, hands flew up in the air.

As soon as he closed his speech, a throng of ambitious students rushed the stage, eager for a handshake and a few seconds of Feist's attention. I have no doubt that he was beyond busy, with a tight schedule of other places to be and important people to see, but he cheerfully sat down on the dais for an impromptu meet-and-greet.

I moved up closer to take photos, and I saw how Feist patiently gave one aspiring CNN intern after another the chance to introduce himself or herself and heap e-mail addresses, cards, resumes and clips upon him. He looked surprised at requests for his autograph, which he happily obliged. He did an admirable job of recognizing who in the audience had asked what and appeared genuinely interested in their comments and questions.

As important a media figure as Feist is and as many people around the world who watch or read the work he does for CNN, he still seemed genuinely pleased to hear about what one student took away from his speech that morning. The man brings news to millions and yet still gets satisfaction from reaching just one.

Dr. Lee

No comments: