Friday, October 26, 2007

Headlines & Cutlines.

After a slew of somewhat sparsely filled sessions, I was excited to see the Headlines & Cutlines seminar packed beyond capacity. People piled practically on top of one other in chairs, on the floor, in the doorway, with some even straining to hear from the hallway. Tom Pierce, part-time copy editor for the St. Petersburg Times, kept everyone engaged with examples of cleverly -- and not so cleverly -- crafted heds. I wanted to jot them all down to use in Editing, but there was so little elbow room that I could not open my bag to search for a pen. I found out later that Jim (who is in Editing) was also in the session, standing just a few squished rows in front of me, with a less obstructed view of the screen. I hope that between the two of us, we can remember and recreate most of the lecture to bring back and share with JOUR 3080.

Dr. Lee

No comments: