Friday, October 26, 2007

Managing a Staff:Knowing When to Lead or Get out of the Way

Managing a Staff: Knowing When to Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way

Vince Filak, Ball State University

The three main things I learned was the difference between editing and fixing things myself and how the editor’s attitude affects the rest of the staff.

• Editing is reading someone’s work, making corrections and then making time to meet with them to go over the changes. By doing this you can focus on the things they did well and explain the things the areas they are struggling in. Editing makes it a learning experience. It will also help improve their writing skills.

• Fixing it myself is what I do most of the time because it is easier and takes less time, however, it is not to the benefit of the writer. From now on, I am going to make an effort to make more time to go over stories with the writers.

• The editor’s attitude rubs off on the rest of the staff. If I set a good example of being positive, hard-working and timely, hopefully the rest of the staff will follow.

Lela Coker

No comments: