Thursday, October 25, 2007

Writing Game Stories Worth Reading


THIS SESSION WAS AMAZING!!!

I got so many ideas from this presentation, I can't wait to get back to Natchitoches and rewrite every story in the sports section of the Potpourri. Seriously.

Joe Gisondi from Eastern Illinois University inspired me and gave me so many ideas for stories and angles. I feel like, at NSU, sports writers can get away with writing sub-par stories because no one else wants to do it. After this session, I don't want anyone to get away with that anymore.

Since NSU doesn't have a sports writing class, I walked away with a lot from this presentation regarding writing sports leads and leaving out statistics no one knows about. Gisondi also gave suggestions for building relationships with sources, not letting athletes and coaches get away with cliche answers and putting positive spins on stories after a team lost.

I am so excited to go home and put all the things I learned from the sports sessions into action!

-- Lauren Sciba

No comments: