Friday, October 26, 2007

Writing Sports Columns and Blogs

Writing Sports Columns and Blogs
Joe Gisondi, Eastern Illinois University

I know sports aren’t usually my favorite section of journalism, but as the editor I thought it wouldn’t hurt me to be well rounded. Plus, Lauren and Brittany said such great things about Gisondi from a section the day before, I thought I would give it a try. I should have gone to a general sports writing session and not one about sports columns, but there were still a few things that can be applied to our yearbook sports writers.

• Go to the team’s practices, not just their home games
• Build a relationship with the coaches.

Sports Columns hints:
• Have a clear voice
• Read other respected sports columns
• Have a different point of view
• Don’t use “I” to much, readers will know it is your column
• Don’t focus on yourself
• Make sure you column is newsworthy
• Avoid clichés
• Pose a question
• Try to get people to think
• Put links in your blog. It makes it more transparent.

Lela Coker

No comments: