Friday, November 2, 2007

As Always, All Good Things Must Come To An End

As I write this particular post a week after the fact, the memory remains fresh in my mind. The sights and sounds, the hustle and bustle, every aspect of our short albeit busy stay in our nation's capital is still vivid in my mind. I have no doubt that I will be returning there someday.

Dr. Lee wrote in an earlier post of the emerging unity of the small group of Demons (for the uninitiated, the Demon is our school mascot) that went to this conference. There is no doubt in my mind that convergence in the journalism department is possible; the way that we came together in the duration of this conference shows that the same can be accomplished on campus. However, it's up to the students to make this dream a reality. I'm currently involved with three sectors of this department: I'm the Music Director for KNWD, I write for the Sauce, and I'm on the NSU-22 Tuesday and Thursday crew.

But enough about me...I'll end this thought by saying that the department's goal of convergence is easily possible.

Redirecting my train of thought to the D.C. trip: Needless to say, it was an educational experience that extended far beyond the sessions. I was able to observe how Washingtonites live day to day; their hurried lifestyle closely mirrors the lifestyle I saw in the people I sat in traffic with every day this past summer back home in Dallas. This is relevant because journalism has to adapt to this increasingly rushed world we inhabit.

Unfortunately it appears as though in a hundred years (or even earlier than that) we may not be obtaining our news from a printed source. I take it back -- it's not a question of "if" but one of "when." As the next generation of journalists prepare to enter the battlefield, we must be armed with the technological prowess to keep the constant flow of information readily available for our time-deprived public.

For now,
Richelle Stephens

No comments: