Thursday, October 25, 2007

Legal Issues of Online Newsgathering

I'll be honest, I was disappointed with this session. Adam Goldstein from the Student Press Law Center discussed issues concerning Facebook for most of the presentation. He vaguely touched on copyright laws, contract laws and mentioned fair-use and fair-access issues. During the Q and A session, people mostly asked "what if...." scenario questions about ethics and what they could or couldn't get in trouble for.

I felt this was a waste of my time, as I have already taken Communication Law and Ethics in Journalism, so I didn't really learn anything new. The description of this session was misleading; I thought the session would cover more about online newsgathering, not primarily discuss how using photos from Facebook used out of context is wrong.

-- Lauren Sciba

No comments: